This estate, which is a neighbour of Solvay, is situated on the right bank of the Argentine. Although older than Solvay, the Nysdam estate was separated from the Forest of Soignes from the first half of the 14th century and was passed on in 1335 to an illegitimate son of the duke of Brabant. From this time, small lakes were created from a marsh and used from 1343 onwards by the priory of Groenendael. Rebuilt several times, the mediaeval dwelling built in the middle of a lake was successively converted into a country house, rebuilt in 1809 on the edge of the lake before being replaced in 1875 by a castle on the slope. Abandoned since the 1960s, the estate quickly deteriorated, as did the building. In 1989, 58 hectares of land were purchased by a company to set up offices on the site of the château, subject to the obligation of entrusting management of 45 hectares of the grounds to a nature conservation organisation, thereby creating the largest natural reserve in Walloon Brabant.
Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia