Our Lady of the Assumption church, rebuilt in brick and sandstone in the second half of the 18th century, with the exception of the sandstone tower, which dates from the 13th century, stands in the heart of a walled cemetery. It houses an organ and Baroque organ case, both of exceptional quality. In 1785, it was bought from the priory of Val Saint-Martin in Leuven, abolished by Joseph II. At this time, the organ had probably been in the possession of the congregation for about a century without it being possible to retrace its origins clearly. While it cannot be attributed to any one organ-maker in particular, it can be recorded as being in the German school that can to set up in our area in the 17th century. Relatively small, but stretching vertically, the organ case features rich sculpted and gilded ornamentation.
Any modifications made to the instrument over time are limited to the ornamentation added at the end of the 18th century and the modifications made in the 19th century. However the originality of the instrument is not limited to its remarkable decoration, but also includes the technical characteristics that give a precise idea of the sound that should come from a small 17th-century organ of which only the main keyboard has been preserved. A fairly rare organ, it came to us in virtually original condition, enabling it to be restored, a process completed in 1996.
Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia