Notre-Dame des Récollets church is the former chapel of the Récollets convent and became the parish church for Verviers in 1833. The Récollets became established in Verviers in 1627, following permission being granted by prince bishop, Ferdinand de Bavière.
From 1631, the Récollets worked on building their convent, a classic college and chapel dedicated to the Very Holy Sacrament. Burned down in 1810, the church and convent were destroyed. Only the church was rebuilt, based on plans by the architect H. Douha. The chapel was restored from 1852 and the façade rebuilt in 1892-1893 by A. Van Assche, who added a bell tower.
The church is built in limestone blocks and consists of a single nave and chancel with chevet with three walls. The roof is in slate bâtière. The nave is lit by eight tall windows with a lowered barrel-vaulted ceiling and joisted arches. The Corinthian capitals, stucco décor dating from 1857 and the white marble floor in black and grey are well worth noting.
The façade is made up of three parts, a bell tower and two side façades under consoles. It features an arched central door, three niches, a rose window, twin neo-Roman windows and a louvre. It is adorned by a Christ on the cross and topped by an octagonal spire on a square base.
The chapel is separated from the church by a façade featuring a doorway and a niche containing the statue of the Miraculous Black Virgin of the Récollets. In 1692, during an earthquake, the statue miraculously changed position. This led to an upsurge in faith and the creation of a pilgrimage.
Listed: 15-03-1934 (with the exception of the tower)