Already registered ? Log in
image utilisateur
/ 1 year
The church of St Christopher

The church of St Christopher


The church of St Christopher of Racour blends Romanesque and Gothic architecture. It is built from Overlaar quartzite, Gobertange stone and Lincent tufa. There is a tower, a nave, two side aisles, a transept and chancel with apse with three walls. The sturdy tower dates from the second half of the 14th century, rising to a height of 33 metres and adjoined by a stair turret. The nave and chancel date from the 15th century. The chancel is flanked by two neo-Gothic annexes. During the first half of the 20th century, a restoration programme partly revealed the stuccoed interior decoration dating from the middle of the 18th century.

The interior of the tower features the use of two types of ceiling. The first level is covered by ridged vaulting, while the second has a ribbed vault. On the first level, the nave, crossing and transept feature great Gothic arches. The arms of the transept are covered by ribbed vaults. The chancel and apse have a ceiling decorated with stuccoes depicting rocks. The furnishings feature statues of St Christopher (13th and 18th centuries), as well as Gothic baptismal fonts decorated with human heads and dating from the 15th century.

 

Listed (10-09-1943)

Lincent
Lat : 50.7395Lng : 5.029
0 m

Be the first to comment !

En poursuivant votre visite, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies permettant d'améliorer votre navigation. Pour en savoir plus, cliquez iciJ'ai compris