The church of St John the Evangelist, former collegiate church founded by bishop Notger in around 980, follows a design influenced by the Palatine church in Aachen. Made up of a polygon, this Romanesque building had a tower added to it, as well as a cloister and other buildings belonging to the college of canons. Work on the church began at the end of the 12th century aimed at rebuilding the upper portion of the tower. Two centuries later, a chancel and and chapels were added to the existing octagonal church. The Roman church was rebuilt in the second half of the 18th century in neo-classical style by two architects from Liège, J-G Soufflot and B Renoz, based on plans by the Italian architect, GM Pisoni.
The new structure, built from coal formation sandstone, bricks and limestone, consists of three Roman and neo-classical sections (the tower, the octagon and the chancel). The tower, in Roman style, is adjoined by two stair turrets. The neo-classical octagon is topped by a high dome that rests on the eight pillars that delineate the walkway, which in turn is covered by ribbed vaulting and flanked by six radiating chapels. The neo-classical chancel features large windows with lintels.
The cloister adjoining the building dates as a whole from the 16th century, with only the east wing being rebuilt in the 18th century. The west and north wings were vaulted in 1738. The south wing is the only one with the original Gothic vaulting, characterised by the presence of liernes and tiercerons.
We should note the arched doorway adorned by a bas-relief inscribed into its tympanum depicting of St John on the island of Patmos, as well as the Baroque furnishings.
Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia