Closely linked with the cult of St Vincent (7th century), the former collegiate church of Soignies is built in a mixture of sandstone and limestone. Its chancel has a straight east wall, and an 11th-century groin-vaulted ceiling. The baroque high altar honours the remains of St Vincent, kept in an upper chapel. The transepts (with an imposing lantern tower above), westwork, nave and aisles show the development of the Romanesque style in Hainaut. The bell-tower and the chapels of St Hubert and the Holy Name of Jesus are Gothic, but the jubé (choirscreen) is Renaissance and the wooden choir-stalls are baroque. The Musée du Chapitre displays some of the church’s treasures.
Building listed by Order of the Secretaries General (10-11-1941)
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia