This monumental building, inspired by the architecture of Roman basilicas, was built at the beginning of the 19th century thanks to the patronage of wealthy industrialists at a time when the town prospered in wool and textiles. The designers clearly wanted to provide their town with a prestigious building of class.
The choir is impressive: the imposing high altar in marble surrounded by 4 large stone statues representing the “fathers” of the church (Ambroise, Augustin,Gregoire and Jerome);oak stalls, paintings on the walls and ceiling. The generous patrons, Edoaurd and Raymond Biolley who contributed a great deal to the erection of the building evidently wanted to be recognised, if indirectly, for this. A painting in the choir depicts Raymond, the patron saint of Biolley industries with the arms of the donor in the corner. Another noticeable indication of these same donors: the magnificent carved oak pulpit at the foot of which is a sculpture, again, of Saint Raymond and Saint Edouard who are presenting a plan of the church to Saint Remacle as though the industrialists were asking for his approval.
Behind this pulpit is a statue of saint Remacle dating from 1693 and leaning against the column supporting the rood loft is a statue of Saint Sévère the patron of weavers, essential for a town dedicated to textiles for so long.