In 1860, the quite large and commercially active Jewish community in Arlon decided to construct a synagogue, and this was inaugurated in 1865. It was the first synagogue in Belgium to be financed principally by public funds. The building was decorated and furnished in 1872. It follows a Romano-Byzantine style, whilst the exterior façade has a distinctly oriental look. At the front on the apex of the roof is a Jewish symbol representing the two tablets of the law. The twin round-topped windows below also echo this symbol. The Jewish Cemetery in Arlon is the oldest, still standing today, in Wallonia - it dates from 1856.