These steps were built in the 17th century by a Spanish Engineer. Originally the Montée Royale consisted of seven platforms, each separated by three steps. On each platform there was a tree and a Station of the Cross. Following occupation of the city by the troops of Louis XIV, the steps required reconstruction (1735). The “Royal Way of the Cross” had nine stations. Following a further collapse in 1830, another new set of steps was constructed. It was composed of several terrace, supported by arcades, and with 14 identical stone crosses. It became a listed heritage site in 1992 and is currently undergoing renovation.