This is the third church in Arlon to bear this name. The first was built in the 8thcentury outside the city walls. It was destroyed in the 16thcentury. The place of worship was transferred, in 1558, to a church in the centre of Arlon. This was demolished in 1935. The building of the present church resulted from both the desire of King Leopold to have significant buildings marking the two extremities of the country; and that of the inhabitants of Arlon to have a church worthy of the status of their city as the administrative capital of the province of Luxembourg.
It was built between 1907 and 1914 using local stone from the Lorraine and based on the 13th Gothic rayonnant ogival style. It was consecrated in 1937 and became a listed building in 2002. The combined height of the tower and steeple is 97 metres.