The church was erected in the 15th and 16th centuries in the Gothic style of Demer. It is built mostly with red sandstone (rust coloured) from the region. Later additions are in brick.
The church is in a small country village in the Demer valley and several walks into the hills of Hageland start here.
The old wall surrounding the cemetery has been conserved. Inside there are 16th and 17th century statues, four paintings from the 18th and 19th centuries and recently renovated Colin organs.
Most of the stained glass windows were replaced in 1917, though in the choir is one of the oldest ones in Belgium depicting “Calvary” (1387).
The history of the church is well documented thanks to the Norbetins of Averbode Abbey who give the services at Testelt.