In Duisberg, on the edge of the forest of Soignes, is the church of Saint-Catherine which is peculiar in that the choir, the transept and the nave are at different levels due to different periods of construction.
Like all the churches in the valley of the “Voer” the foundations are typically 12th century Romanesque. The magnificent Gothic choir was added in 1263, the transept between 1350 and 1400, while the Gothic spire of the tower dates from 1626-28.
During the Old Regime the parish was administered by the abbey of Coudenberg of Brussels as Henry 1st, the Duke of Brabant, had given the parish to the abbey in the 12th century.
For walkers it is worth knowing that the “Oogstwandeling” walk starts from this church and offers superb views.