The church was originally built between the 13th and 15th centuries but was almost entirely rebuilt after its destruction in 1944 when only the front part survived.
The late Gothic tower (1454) by Jan van Ruysbroeck, the architect of the Town hall of Brussels, is one of the seven wonders of Louvain . It is known as “the tower without nails” as its stones are placed without using a single fastening.
The three carillons of Louvain can be heard from this tower.
The magnificent wooden stalls (1540-1544) in the choir of the church by Mathieu de Waeyer were crushed in the ruins but a detailed work of sorting and restoration led to their reconstruction.
The church belongs to the abbey of the Augustines and on its south side the ancient abbey buildings are in fact a complex of homes. On the north side, on the left, there is a street lined with gabled houses of the old Little Beguinage.