This late Gothic church was built in sandstone from the Diegem area in the 15th and 16th centuries.
The tower dating from 1400 is the oldest part while the southern sacristy from 1775 is the most recent. The octagonal tower seems to be in the shape of a papal tiara.
The pope and martyr, Saint Cornelius is depicted in several places such as in the side altar and in the 16th and 17th century statues. The furnishings are superb: the pulpit with symbols of the Evangelists, the confessionals and the stalls. The organ is from the workshop of Rochet while the organ case is decorated with statues by Delbas. One of the oldest masterpieces in the church is “The crucified Christ” from around 1500. The ornamentation of this church gives an impression of great richness.
The location of the church on a lively little square on a hill within a surrounding wall, which cuts out all the noise of traffic, gives the place a quiet, peaceful air.