Saint Martin basilica, usually called Our Lady basilica, is a centre of devotion for the Virgin and comprises the chapel of Our Lady dating from 1335 and the actual church dating from 1409.The basilica is Gothic and in 1775 it was surmounted by a baroque lantern turret.
The statue of the Virgin of mercy (95cms high) was donated to the town of Halle by Machteld of Brabant in 1267.This notable statue stands above the high altar.The visitors’ book, kept in the crypt, mentions 59 miracles as well as the names of ten thousand members of the brotherhood.
In the Trazegnies Chapel, a magnificent alabaster retable depicts the seven sacraments.
Our Lady Chapel and nine other chapels radiate out from the ambulatory. The baptismal fonts in brass come from Tournai and date from 1446.The finely sculptured tabernacle and the 15th century brass lectern in the form of an eagle with outspread wings shows the richness of the basilica.
It was Pope Pius XII who raised the church to the level of a basilica in 1946.
After her marriage to Prince Phillip, Princess Mathilde offered her wedding bouquet to the Virgin of Halle.
More information : www.sintmartinusbasiliek.be