The interesting flamboyant Gothic church in brick of Saint Catherine was designed by the architects Hendrik Lambrechts and Rombaut Keldermans between 1525 and 1550.T
he original 102 metre high tower, which was blown up by the Germans in 1944, was replaced in 1958 by an imposing tower/porch which, at 105metres in height, dominates its surroundings.
Inside the church, seven of the original seventeen altars are intact and magnificent 16th century Gothic stalls, of which the high backs have been saved, are worth seeing. Noteworthy also are the pulpit, a communion pew, baptismal fonts and many other riches which all tell their own story. The chancel and transept are embellished with superb stained glass windows including “The Last Supper“(1535).
Of numerous tombs that of Antoine de Lalaing (1540) and his wife (1555) is one of the most beautiful examples of renaissance style in Belgium. This is attributed to Jean Mone the sculptor of Charles V.The recumbent figures are in alabaster and the sarcophagus in black marble.