It was probably Gilles Berthout, the lord of Malines who had the church at Schriek built after 1303.Previously Schriek had not been an independent parish.
Of this first church, which had five altars, only the tower in white sandstone remains. The semi-circular arch of the portal still recalls its Romanesque style. Lightening in 1654 and renovations in 1687 added some Gothic elements to the tower, such as the openwork of the windows and openings and the renaissance style of alternating horizontal layers of brick and stone.
After 1794 during the French revolution, the lateral naves were enlarged, raised and extended up to the tower. All was covered by a large saddleback roof. During its enlargement in 1844 it was improved with a large transept, a raised choir surrounded by an apse, two side altars and a sacristy. Thus the church regained its form of a Latin cross.