Kemmelberg, Monteberg, Rodeberg, Scherpenberg are all hills (bergs) surrounding Lokeren which provides one with a panoramic view of the church of which the most imposing part is the sturdy square tower topped by four small conical towers. The church was rebuilt in yellow brick in late Neo-Gothic style in 1924 by the architect A Dumon on the foundations of an old 15th century church. After the First World War, only the tower, which is protected, remained of this ancient church.
The interior of the church has three naves in white plaster and barrel vaults in wood. There is an 18th century bust of Saint Peter, a Pieta and numerous paintings among which are “The Last Supper”(1560), “the Nativity”( 17th century) and “the Adoration of the Magi” (17th century).
The stained glass window shows the murder of Charles the Good.
A new organ, placed in the church in 1913, disappeared in 1917. This was replaced in 1927 by the present one made by Jules Annessens.