Nieuwkerke is an ancient commune on the roman road Belle- Wervik and in 1105 was already known as “Nova Ecclesia” (New Church).In 1080 a Romanesque church was opened on the site of an ancient chapel by the monks of Sint-Jan –ter-Berghe. This church was destroyed and rebuilt several times. Thus, in the 16th century it was changed to a late gothic building but this, unfortunately, was severely damaged, apart from the south west façade, during the First World War.
The present church with its three naves was built in 1922-23 in Neo-Romanesque style by Joseph Viérin.
Inside are several treasures; a statue of Christ on the Cross (1600), a Stations of the Cross by C Vallaeys (1923) and stained glass windows that commemorate the murder of three priests at Reningelst.
Every quarter of an hour the sound of four small bells of the carillon ring out.
The church council produced a very interesting illustrated brochure in 2003.