The original church dating from the Middle Ages was destroyed by a fire in 1488. It was rebuilt in late gothic style at the end of the 15th century by Filips van Kleef, the lord of Roulers. Its spire was blown down by the wind in 1735 and replaced with a bell shaped roof.
From the top of the tower there is a beautiful view extending from Mount Kemmel to the Yser tower. In the tower there is a museum of bells, a very fine clock and, high above, a carillon of 49 bells, the pride of the Guild of Bell-ringers.
Inside, there are important works of art: the baroque 17th century pulpit depicts the biblical story of Naboth’s vineyard. There are also noteworthy wooden sculptures and paintings by Jacob van Dost, Jan Janssens,Otto Venius the school of Vaan Dijk, Bernard Mioen, Desiré Mergaert and Ferdinand Callebert.The church also has one of the largest organs of West Flanders.