In 1119, the parish was cited for the first time as forming part of the bishopric of Tournai. In those days there was a small wooden church. In the 12th century, it was replaced by a place of prayer in stone in the Romanesque style. The foundations of this church were rediscovered in 1894. Around 1500, builders undertook the construction of a Gothic church in this market square. The church was often transformed and enlarged before taking on its current length of 41 m and before being crowned with a 55 m high tower.
Unfortunately during the First World War German firing severely damaged this beautiful edifice.
Between the two wars numerous local artists joined together to redecorate and adorn the interior of the church. As one example, the retable on the altar of the Virgin Mary is the work of Karel Lateur, brother of the famous writer Styn Streuvels.
During the last few years the organ has been restored and some of the stained glass windows have been replaced. All this work gives proof of the pride of the inhabitants of the region in their church.