The first time that Tielt and its church were cited happened in 1105. On the other hand, the current church in Gothic style dates from 1654; but it has experienced numerous transformations in different periods.
Thus in the interior of the church, the Rococo cathedra (1856) is the work of the sculptors of Diest, Deboschere, who worked there for seven years. The communion rail (1765) is by Pieter Cools of Bruges. A Last Supper and the 26 stained glass windows are also worth a close look.
In 1940 unfortunately, bombing severely damaged the church. But thanks to the foresight of certain people, part of the treasures of the church of Saint Peter were put away for safekeeping in Normandy. All this wealth nearly disappeared during the landing four years later. It was only in 1951 that the church was entirely restored.
Pilgrims come to Tielt to pray to Saint Nicholas of Tolentino. Six small chapels, all around the church, are consecrated to him. On the outside of the church, in the cemetery, a restored wooden cross dating from 1733 draws the eye.
For those people who would like a further small historical note: Tielt was the homeland of Olivier le Daim, barber and confidant of Louis XI. He was condemned to death by the Parliament, after the death of the king, and was hanged in Paris in 1484.