The church of the Saint Elevation to the Cross was destroyed during the First World War as was most of the village. It was rebuilt along the same lines in 1922-23 : a massive west tower, a small central nave with three lesser naves under a single roof (end 13th century) and a trilobate choir (early 14th century).
Inside there is an early 17th century cross attributed to Hieronymus Duquesnoy de Jonge. Among several paintings are:”The Resurrection of Jesus” (17th century),”The Last Supper”(17th century),”Calvary”( 18th century),” The Pietà with Giver”(1752) by Matthias de Visch (Renige). There are also more recent paintings of which five large ones by Jos Speybrouck(1891-1956),who has created many religious works.
A stone plaque on the south east wall of the church commemorates Niklass Zannekin of Lampernisse who led the Westland troops in the socio- economic struggle of the Flemings against the nobility and the French king. With his hundreds of vigorous fighters he was defeated at the battle of Cassel in 1328.