The village of Pervijze had two churches in the Middle Ages, that of Saint Catherine and that of Saint Nicolas. The church of Saint Catherine was destroyed in 1896 and that of Saint Nicolas enlarged. This one, a Neo-Gothic market hall style, is dedicated to both saints. A small yellow brick wall surrounds it and in its grounds a graveyard, birches and willows give an impression of peace. On the right of the main entrance is a bronze relief of the Sacred Heart (1937) flanked by other reliefs of angels. To the NW of the gateway are a Calvary and a chapel commemorating the victims of the two world wars.
The sculptured stone tombs, for example, of the mayor and the curates, are imposing as is a tombstone of a Royal Canadian Air force officer in white stone. In the central choir there is a polychrome cross and stained glass windows by J Casier of Gent (1923). In 1955 new organs,the work of Jos Loncke and son, were installed in the church
Between 1914 and 1918 the church was shelled by German artillery. It was rebuilt in 1923 according to the pre war plans (1892-1894).It was inaugurated in 1933 as the church of Saint Nicolas and Saint Catherine. During the Second World War the tower and the windows were damaged but the tower was restored in 1950, the windows in 1959 and the restoration was completed in 1995-1996.