This classic church, built between 1769 and 1775 by the architect Dewez with its three naves transept, side choirs and its main semi circular choir, was at its time the fourth church of Harelbeke.
Only the tower over the transept crossing remains from the 12th century. The church was badly damaged in 1940. Since then a baroque spire has been added to the tower to which a carillon of fifty bells was added in 1960. The 30metre high façade depicts scenes from the Bible commencing high up with Moses.
The interior, which was entirely restored in 2009, has some very beautiful works of art; the marble high altar with bronze decorations and a white marble bas- relief of the Virgin Mary and Saint John weeping at the death of Jesus on the altar tomb. There are also superb stalls and wood panelling , a wrought iron rood screen (1776), a copper lectern, Rococo confessionals and a baptism chapel with marble fonts with copper covers.
The Epine chapel contains the relics of Saint Epine.The jewel of the church is the pulpit with its invisible stairs and its decoration with the symbols of the Apostles. The statues of Count Baudouin and his wife are interesting.The face of the organ case (1654) and its saint Sauveur in wood comes from the ancient church.