Already registered ? Log in
Sint-Gulielmuskerk

Sint-Gulielmuskerk


 

This village used to have a church with two naves but one of them was demolished. The tower got destroyed during the war.

The Neo-Romanesque church of Saint-William (Guilielmus/Wilhelmus/Willem) was designed and constructed in 1920. It is located somewhat in the back, next to a cemetery bordered by hedges and a parish centre. A bronze statue of Fleris (1983) is facing the street. According to legend Fleris was a rebellious farmhand who had cursed the Fleriskot farmstead.

The church has a square tower with an octagonal spire. It forms a uniform entity predominantly constructed in yellow bricks. On the east side of the building there is a cave dedicated to Maria.

On the inside you can find an eighteenth century statue that represents ‘Christ on the cross’, sculptured altar rails, a nineteenth century confessional and tomb stones from the eighteenth century, that are situated underneath the tower.

The neogothic stained glass windows behind the choir represent St. Stephen, St. Donat and St. William.

Middelkerke
Lat : 51.1811Lng : 2.83968
0 m
2 years

Be the first to comment !

En poursuivant votre visite, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies permettant d'améliorer votre navigation. Pour en savoir plus, cliquez ici