The cathedral is the oldest church in the Venice of the North. The lower part of the tower, which is the oldest part of the church, dates from the 12th century. During those times, the builders constructed a Romanesque church (1116-1117). This was rebuilt in bricks in the Neo-Gothic style in around 1250.
A century later there were other additions to the church. As for the Neo-Romanesque tower, it was completed in 1844 and in 1871. All these changes have given this cathedral a length of about 100 m.
Among other things, the church houses sumptuous tombs, a choir with five chapels radiating out from it, an impressive rood screen, a few side chapels, … In the chapel consecrated to Saint Genevieve in Gistel, a reliquary is found (1883-1885) with the relics of Charles the Good, Count of Flanders, who was assassinated for having helped the poor and having worked for peace. In the central nave, one can see an old portrait on wood of Charles the Good.
In the choir, the stalls bear the coats of arms of all the knights of the Golden Fleece (1478).
The cathedra, the rostrum of the bishop, comes from the cathedral of Ypres, which was a bishopric from 1598 to the moment in 1834 when the bishopric was linked with Bruges.
Go through the chapel of the Holy Sacrament. This has become a place of prayer even during the week. The serenity that emanates from this chapel invites believers or non-believers to a moment of prayer, of contemplation or of silence.