The history of the church, located in the Sint-Pietersplein, dates from the era of the abbey of Saint Peter, founded in 630 by Saint Amand and reconstructed in 811 by Charlemagne. The Romanesque church disappeared further to the ‘Beeldenstorm’ (Iconoclasm) around 1580.
During the French period, the church was converted into an art museum for paintings. These days numerous paintings dating from the 17th and 18th centuries still adorn the interior of this magnificent monumental church.
As from 1810, the church of Saint-Pierre once again became a parish church to replace the church of Notre-Dame, located not far from there and destroyed under the French domination. Under the place Saint-Pierre, the remains of the foundations of this church of Notre-Dame have been discovered. This is why the current church bears the name of Notre-Dame-Saint-Pierre.
It contains a treasure of furnishings, statues, wood sculptures and goldsmithing work.
We should also admire the magnificent Rococo rood screen (1742-1749) with refined lines, the work of Joseph Maniette de Cambrai.