This church with three naves and its octagonal tower at the transept crossing has Romanesque parts in the chancel and the tower dating from the 12th century. The lateral tower is in 14th century primitive Gothic.
There were several changes in the 17th and 19th centuries. In 1864 the neo gothic nave was added. Unfortunately in 1944 the interior was badly damaged by fire but in 1948 the church was embellished with a new west façade, the baptistery and stained glass windows in the chancel.
Between 1950 and 1960 the interior was refurbished and new furnishings added such as oak panelling, confessionals and stalls. Fine frescoes represent the patron saints of the church, Peter and Martin. In 1992 the pastor and Artist Omer Gilliet donated the “four artisans “which is found at the end of the church.
In 1999 during the 1275 anniversary of Assende the south facade was given a new edge.
In front of the church is a pillory and the arms are of the gentlemen artisans of Assende.