Of the Romanesque church, only the semi- circular arches on the east side remain. The lateral Gothic naves are the same height as the central one and date from about 1500.The southern tower was completed in 1635.It is tall, elegant and octagonal and its spire is adorned with four ornamental turrets.
The level of the ground around the church was lower until 1700 as the pillars of the portal, which are partially buried, testify. The main altar in white marble (1847) carries a bust of Christ in relief. Above the altar is a painting” Jesus on the Cross”(1632) by Antoon Van den Heuvel from Gent. Right and left are wooden statues depicting Saint Peter and Saint Paul. Around the chancel are paintings of the four evangelists. The altar in the southern nave is dedicated to Saint Bavon and Saint Catherine of Alexandria. In the niche above the altar is the wooden statue of Saint Bavon , patron saint of the church. The altar in the northern nave is dedicated to Our Lady who is glorified in the painting “the Annunciation of the Virgin” (1816) by Thomas Blaton. In the porch is a grisaille (tint drawing) on cloth representing “The Virgin and Child with a rosary” (18th century).
Other statues and furnishings complete this magnificent interior; e.g. An old polychrome statue “Christ on the cold stone”.
At the back of the north wall on the outside is a Calvary, a group of wood statues from the 18th century.