A legend is connected with the name of the city. A long time ago, a lion terrorised the region. No one was capable of killing it. But with the benediction of Saint Amand, evangelist of Flanders, the people succeeded in killing the lion. Saint Amand had a chapel built at the place, which took on the name ‘Lewe aan de Dender’ (lion on the Dendre).
The current church with three naves was built in the 13th century - beginning of the 14th century. The stone used is sandstone. Parts of the central nave, the south lateral nave and the west square tower are in late Gothic style.
In 1763, the south lateral nave was transformed; the north lateral nave was erected. In 1894-1895, under the direction of Julius Goethals (1855-1918), architect of the city of Aalst, the church, whose choir and transept are Neo-Gothic, experienced major transformations. The spire of the octagonal tower was added in 1942-1943 by the architect Stan Leurs.
The interior has a wealth of wood sculptures principally from the 18th century.