The church is close to the ring and the “Union” football stadium. Well before the First World War, it was thought essential to build a church in the working class quarter the other side of the Dendre. The work started finally in 1928 -1929.
The church is built in neo Romanesque style with 22 metre high arches and a 55 metre tower. Two rose windows at the back and the front as well as high windows flood the interior with light.
The Stations of the Cross and its painted panels were consecrated on 23rd February 1930. A statue of ‘la Mater Dolorosa”, the Sorrowing Mother, after the Pietà by Michael Angelo ends the Stations of the Cross.
In1996, the congregation of the Sisters of the Augustinian Hospices loaned two painting: "the Birth of Christ” by J.D.Landseer(1750-1826) and a triptych with scenes from the life of John the Baptist by Frans Porbus de Jongere(1569-1622). In the side nave, a copy of the painting of “Christ on the Cross” by Antoon Van Dijck hangs beside other paintings and restored statues.