A most accomplished example of the Mosan style, the Maison Curtius was built between 1597 and 1605 by Jean Curtius, supplier of munitions to the armies of the king of Spain, as business premises.
A four-storey building in brick and Meuse stone, it has a tower, rebuilt in 1904, and a huge arched doorway. Inside, two monumental polychrome fireplaces, dated 1604, can still be seen.
In addition to this public part is another private section which was the home of Jean Curtius, but it has been altered over the centuries.
These two aspects will be brought together once more as part of the Pays de Liège grouping of museums, "Le Grand Curtius".
Building listed by Order of the Regent (14-01-1950)
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia