Excavation of the Canal du Centre, which is closely linked to the region’s industrial past, began in 1882. In order to overcome a difference in levels of 70 metres over a distance of 21 kilometres, four hydraulic lifts were built along the canal between 1888 and 1917.
Two identical tanks rest on a hydraulic press supported by a piston.
When the higher tank is filled with an additional 30 cm of water, it descends and the other tank rises. Each lift is linked to a machine room.
The four hydraulic boat-lifts attract thousands of visitors and have been included on the UNESCO World Heritage list since 1998.
Building and site listed on 22nd September 1992
Building listed on 1st February 2001
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia
World Heritage listed in 1998