The counts of Duras gave the church of St Médard to the Knights Hospitaller of St John of Jerusalem in about 1175.
The present church, built in local sandstone and limestone, is Gothic.
However, some lingering Romanesque influence is evident, both in the chancel, which has a semicircular apse and two-storey external elevation with low arched windows beneath an arcaded wall, and in the transepts, which open onto two apsidal chapels.
Building work was completed in the early 14th century with the upper parts of the nave and tower.
Only the vaulting in the aisles and apsidal chapels is original; the vaulting in the nave and transepts dates from 1759.
Building listed on 21st December 1936
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia