The town hall at Charleroi, inaugurated in 1936, is an impressive classical building with geometric lines and an interplay of materials – red and black marble, bronze, brass, wrought iron – which add an Art Deco touch.
It contains several statues, intended to display the city’s dominance, prosperity and industrial heritage. The council chamber is the only room containing pictorial art, a seven-panelled work with seven corresponding stained-glass windows depicting the coats of arms of the subdivisions (cantons) of the administrative district of Charleroi.
The town hall is a masterpiece of civil architecture, and its belfry is included on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
Building listed (09-09-2001)
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia
Belfry registered on the World Heritage List (1999)