The construction of this church began in the 12th century in Romanesque style; the vault and the northern gate were finished during the 13th century. During the 19th century, two chapels were added giving to the church its shape of Latin cross. Its steeple is covered with chestnut tree shingles. On the inside, the visitor can admire wall paintings representing for the major part Passion of Christ ; they date back to 1692 and were restored in 1842. A statue and two paintings were included in the supplementary list of historical monuments. The statue is made in golden wood and represents Saint Pardoux, the original statue was in gold and was given to a church in Paris by an unscrupulous monk. This church was an important place of devotions. Processions used to take place in October 6th each year (date of the death of Saint Pardoux) and attracted a lot of people. These devotions were supposed to bring protection on cattle and people.
Information: Tourist Office Gartempe-Saint Pardoux at 05 55 76 57 57 or 05 55 76 56 80.