The church of Saint Symphorien dates back to 1425 when it was the chapel of the Augustinian convent. It became the parish church in 1791.
The square belltower standing tall above the ramparts makes Morestel church one of the region's most majestic religious buildings from the Middle Ages.
It owes its current appearance to Berruyer, a 19th-century architect whose Gothic lantern features a remarkable pepperpot turret at one corner.
The church interior was renovated in 1998-1999, with the inauguration of Christophe Berthier's central stained-glass window in April 1999.
Morestel Church is a listed Historical Monument.
An interesting feature is the white marble plaque, a mass stipend from Claude De La Balme. It dates from 1518 and can be seen in the Chapel of the Virgin Mary.
Phone : 04 74 80 19 59
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The church doors are opened every day by Franciscan nuns who also run a gite and guestrooms in the same street.
Office du Tourisme Les Balcons du Dauphiné - 15/10/2021
Report a problem