A true military master piece, the Citadel is the most important historical site in Pays de Bitche. In the past, Pays de Bitche was the setting for many wars and invasions and of which the castle on the site of Bitche Citadel was a centrepiece. Neither the Swedish, the region of Lorraine, the French nor the Germans were able overthrow this stronghold. In 1680, the castle was replaced by the Citadel designed by Vauban. It was dismantled in 1697, but rebuilt in 1740 by the architect Cormontaigne. The most glorious feat was conducted by Commander Teyssier and his garrison during the 1870 Franco-Prussian war. While the rest of France was capitulated, they resisted for 230 days. On the platform of the Citadel, the historical museum “The Men during the 1870 War” has records and photos, and a collection of arms and uniforms worn by the men on the battlefield. The recently restored Vauban Chapel exposes an original relief map of Bitche dating to 1794 which is now classified as a Historical Monument.
Tel : 03 87 96 18 82
Email : email@example.com
Site web : www.citadelle-bitche.com
Ces informations sont issues de la plateforme SITLOR - Système d’Information Touristique - Lorraine
Elles sont synchronisées dans le cadre du partenariat entre Cirkwi, l’Agence régionale du Tourisme Grand Est et les membres du comité technique de Sitlor.