Dominating the entire Argonne eastern region, Vauquois was considered by the Staff Headquarters on both sides as an exceptional observation point and a strategic barrier.
On 24th September 1914, the Germans occupied this hill and made it into a genuine fortress.
On 4th March 1915, after several offensives, the French took hold of the hill. The war of pposition was about to start.
The soldiers went underground and dug out miles of galleries and ramifications in order to infiltrate the enemy's network and to cause a maximum amount of loss using tons of explosives.
Vauquois hill thus became a real anthill composed of several underground installations spread over several levels (more than 17kms of shafts, galleries and ramifications).
One of the most significant places of mine warfare (an inventory was made indicating 519 explosives : 199 German and 320 French), Vauquois was freed on 26th September 1918 by the Americans.
Still intact fron the Great War, Vauquois hill has been listed as a Historic Monument.
Tel : 03 29 80 73 15
Email : email@example.com
Site web : www.butte-vauquois.fr
Ces informations sont issues de la plateforme SITLOR - Système d’Information Touristique - Lorraine
Elles sont synchronisées dans le cadre du partenariat entre Cirkwi, l’Agence régionale du Tourisme Grand Est et les membres du comité technique de Sitlor.