Meaux’s war memorial was inaugurated on May 24 1903, following the 1870 Franco-Prussian war.
This column, topped with the Winged Victory first paid tribute to the children of the Meaux community who died during this conflict. At the base of the sculpture, a lion watches, its eyes fixed on the East and the “Blue line of the Vosges.” It reminds of the work of the sculptor Bartholdi, and of the Belfort resistance under the lead of colonel Denfert-Rochereau against the Prussian army.
After the Great War, the monument was extended. The names of peoples who died during 19th century conflicts are written on the other faces of the pedestal.
In 1923-1924, Meaux builds the wall surrounding its monument, with the Adrian helmet on the pillars of the railings. Names of children of Meaux, who died for their country in 1914-1918, and 1939-1945, are engraved on metal plates mounted on the wall.
All year round, daily.