The village of Châtelet is located on a rocky spur above the Tardes. It was a strategic defense point in the 9th century.
At the beginning of the 20th century with the construction of the Paris-Ussel railway line, gold veins were discovered and a private gold mine was established from 1905 to 1955. A village was born with buildings for workers and foremen. These are typical houses of the working-class cities of the North. A school was built, a music company existed with 75 musicians.
When the mines were closed, the houses were sold. Some people from Montluçon made it their second home, other inhabitants of Budelière and Evaux settled there.
An old chapel of the 10th century attesting to the antiquity of the village has recently been restored and inaugurated (Guided tour possible with Gwénaëlle, Tourist Office guide, on reservation).
Discovery tour by an ambassador of the territory.
Departure 2.30 p.m. - Tourist Office - Free - Car-sharing - Registration before noon on the day of the visit
Tel: 06 11 14 91 00