The calefactory was a warming house which served two purposes. Its monumental fireplace, to the left of the entrance, was used to heat the convent but also to cook the meals that were served in the refectory. It is now the town hall reception area.
This calefactory was built in the first half of the 16th century. It features four rib vaults which meet at the top of a central column.
These Gothic-style vaults are typical of the late Middle Ages. The ribs are the diagonal arches located at the intersection of the vaults. Each keystone is different. Opposite the entrance, on the right, the first keystone features a shield which is barely visible. The second keystone has a cabbage shape. To its left we can make out another shield, while the fourth keystone is sculpted with the heads of four cherubs.
The current fireplace dates from 1606, as the mantelpiece indicates. The windows were added at a much later date.
Substantial work has been carried out in this room, especially during the 19th century.
Phone : 04 74 90 45 13
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Every day throughout the year.
Closed Saturday and Sunday.
Open during council office opening hours.
Office du Tourisme Les Balcons du Dauphiné - 06/08/2020