Since 1791, the council offices have occupied the ancient convent of the Augustinian Eremites.
The stained-glass window above the entrance features at its centre the town's coat of arms in gold and azure, the colours of Dauphiné. The three yellow circles inside it represent the town's economic influence.
Indeed, currency was issued by the town of Crémieu from about 1337 until 1554. From 1317, the Augustinians built a convent, integrating part of the town's enclosure wall into the construction, after obtaining permission from the dauphin, John II.
There were originally only about a dozen Augustinian Eremites but the convent gradually grew and became wealthier, thanks to various donations and the generosity of John II. His son, Humbert II, who made even greater donations. was the last of the dauphins of Dauphiné. He sold the building in 1349.
On the right-hand side of the entrance is a turret with mullion windows. It was built in the 16th century to house a spiral staircase leading to the monks' cells on the upper floor.
Above the turret entrance you can see a bas-relief sculpture bearing the scratched-out coat of arms, two beheaded angels, and a cartouche with the date 1547.
Phone : 04 74 90 45 13
Email : email@example.com
Every day throughout the year.
Closed Saturday and Sunday.
Open during council office opening hours.
Office du Tourisme Les Balcons du Dauphiné - 06/08/2020