When the Arenberg family acquired the chateau which bears their name in the early 17th century, the park became a huge leisure garden, with two...Read more
The Premonstratensian monks arrived in 1128, and in the 13th century they erected the Gothic abbey buildings, of which the cloister, kitchen and...Read more
Excavation of the Canal du Centre, which is closely linked to the region’s industrial past, began in 1882. In order to overcome a difference in...Read more
The mine in Bois-du-Luc has been worked since the 17th century, and the site was further developed in the 19th century.
Between 1838...Read more
The Hospital of Our Lady with the Rose was founded in 1242 by Alix de Rosoit to care for the poor, the sick, and pilgrims, and was run by members...Read more
The church of St Ursmer at Lobbes is possibly the oldest church in Wallonia.
The nave and transepts certainly date from the Carolingian...Read more
The former collegiate church of St Waudru was built in the late Gothic style. It contains some wonderful 16th-century Renaissance stained glass,...Read more
Succeeding the hall of peace located on the same site on the fringes of the market, the town hall at Mons is the only one in Wallonia built in...Read more
Situated in the heart of Mons and named for its owner, local lawyer, book and coin collector, Léon Losseau, the Maison Losseau is an 18th-century...Read more
The present belfry at Mons was built between 1661 and 1669 and replaces an earlier tower built within the walls of chateau of the counts of Mons....Read more