This walk takes you along a quiet forest track up to the Grand Piton. You will walk from the rural slope of Les Bornes to the highest point in the Salève range, overlooking Geneva and the surrounding area.
1. Go up to the church, take the path that goes up inside a hedge and reach the forest. On the edge, follow a forest path to the left. After a sharp bend, come out at the end of a forest road (1140m).
2. Don't take this path, but continue on the path which climbs the wooded slope. Reach the edge of an alpine pasture at Creux-du-Loup. Turn left and continue through the undergrowth. Come out at the grazed clearing of Pré-Fauraz (1275m).
Locate the return path to the left.
3. Follow the forest edge to the right, cross the D41, pass the obstacles (parking, picnic area) and climb Le Grand Piton to the summit (1379m, Bastian tower, view of the Geneva basin and the Jura).
4. Descend through the grazed clearing of Pré-Fauraz.
5. Fork to the left and, at the signpost, enter the undergrowth. The path crosses a small meadow (ruin, huge oak tree), then goes down the slope taking "châbles" (sunken roads dug in the past by the repeated passage of oxen pulling wood).
6. At the crossroads of four paths (signpost), near to an oratory, take the path which descends towards the hamlet of La Grange. Continue on the road then, at the bend, take the path which leads to Clamant.
7. Take the D15 to the left, go past a restored cabin (old customs post of the tax free zone) then the wooden "Le Salève" sign.
8. Take the path to the left which goes along the forest edge then, parallel to the road, leads to the church of Sappey,
max. 1378 m
min. 841 m
Phone : 04 50 04 71 63
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.tourisme-genevois.fr
Throughout the year : open daily.
Alter'Alpa Tourisme - 11/06/2018
Report a problem
Visit the silica quarry site in Vovray-en-Bornes nearby. At the top of the Sappey, don't miss the "Devil's Cave" next to the restaurant of the same name and, in Cruseilles, the Dronières Park is worth a visit for its lake, swimming pool, tennis courts, zoo, trim course and aerial assault course.