From Toulouse to Muret through trails in a surprising wilderness and almost all the way out of road. Beautiful views over Garonne river.
In Toulouse, the way is going through some of the most beautiful monuments : Saint-Sernin basilica, Notre Dame du Taur church, Capitole square, the Jacobins, Garonne riverside, Daurade church, the Pont Neuf and Saint-James Hospital.
max. 200 m
min. 132 m
Enter in the park Cours Dillon to pass under the Saint-Michel bridge and continue a the foot of the embankment of the Garonne to the bike path of Oncopole
Cross the Saudrune, join allotments always taking the path left. After the place called Palayre and once crossed the bridge, turn left along a field to reach the banks of the Garonne to be followed up Portet / Garonne
Cross the bridge of Pinsaguel and immediately after, down to the banks of the river. Along the Garonne to pass under the bridge of D820 highway. Longer treatment plant, cross the roundabout to take an agricultural road to Roquettes.
From the Port of Saubens, the path goes up and joins a road to follow left on hundred meters and then straight on a path that joins the road D19. Cross the main road to take the next left. Down to the chapel Saint-Marcet to be circumvented by the right to join a path along the Garonne.
Consecrated in 1096, the basilica is a masterpiece of Romanesque art. The tympanum of the Miegeville door, sculpted capitals, the altar table or bas reliefs (above the crypt) marked and influenced art in Europe. The church is the largest monument of Romanesque origin remaining in the world. World Heritage of UNESCO as monument on the way to Compostela, the church with the relics of St. Sernin and many other relics (it was written that there was no holier place in the world after St. Peter Rome) attracted many pilgrims.
Apse and belltower from XII century. Ornaments with devils, birds, squatting personage, woman with snake (lewdness). The rest of the church was built from XVIII to the beginning of XX centuries.
At the XII century, the powerfull Lezat abbey had there a house, built outside the city, for lepers and plague victims. The hospital runned until XVII century. The ruins of Saint-Marcet chapel are also named the "wall of the lepers".
Built from 1159 to 1165 and then heavily reconstructed. Bell tower of Toulouse style . Inside chapel of the "Rosaire" linked to the tradition of saint Dominique during Muret battle. Saint James is the patron saint due to the link of the church with Toulouse cathedral which had both saint James and saint Etienne as patrons.
The path along the river at the foot of dyke can be flooded. In this case, stay up on the dyke.