With our Electric Mountain Bikes, ecological transport, accessible and user-friendly, marvel at the wonders of Val d'Arly !
max. 1052 m
min. 872 m
- La rue du Mont-Blanc : la « grande rue de Flumet », rebaptisé « rue du Mont-Blanc » au 19e siècle, a depuis le Moyen-âge une fonction marchande. Jusqu’au années 1950, elle était jalonnée des commerces les plus divers (boucherie, auberge, horloger, maréchal-ferrant, épicerie, magasins de vêtement, chapelier, etc) .
- L’élevage de mulet, croisement de l’âne et de la jument, est une tradition ancienne dans le Val d’Arly, car cet animal était très utile comme bête de somme pour les travaux agricoles et les déplacements sur les chemins de montagne.
- Le lieu dit « Pontets-Morettes veut dire « ponts sur des cours d’eau couleur brun foncé » (adjectif oïl morette, « brun foncé », en parlant de l´eau).
- La coopérative du Val d’Arly a été créée en 1969. Elle a permis de sauvegarder l’agriculture dans la vallée, aidée par la labellisation AOC du reblochon et du beaufort qu’elle produit. De nos jours, la coopérative collecte le lait de 70 producteurs-sociétaires.
The Château des Faucigny, fortified in the 12th century, is now a ruin. However, the building was once of great architectural and historical value and was part of the original development of Flumet.Flumet’s location, on a rocky spur above the river Arly and where the two mountain passes of Aravis and Les Saisies meet, meant that from the 11th century it was at the southern tip of the Lords of Faucigny’s estates, bordering the House of Savoy's territory. Because of these geo-strategic reasons, the Lords of Faucigny decided to build a château in the vicinity. It’s not possible to give an accurate date for the build, although some historians think it dates back to the 11th century. However, it is known that Aimon II of Faucigny extended the château de Flumet in around 1200. It was built in polygonal form with thick walls and has a square tower in the centre. It was only after the château was built that the fortified town of Flumet was created: the château is therefore the starting point of this village’s history. Principally a place of residence, it was initially home to the Lords of Faucigny on an occasional basis before it became their main residence, demonstrating the influence they had on the territory. It was a defensive building, serving as an advance position in the face of the threat from the neighbouring Savoyards. Once the Faucigny lands fell into the possession of the House of Savoy in 1355, it lost its military importance. From the 15th century, the château slowly fell into ruin, maintained from time to time by the inhabitants of the village. After the village fire of 1679, the local residents were allowed to rebuild their houses with stones from the château, although they were not permitted to touch the tower. As a result of these events and the ravages of time, the château’s general state of repair has worsened considerably over the last few years and is close to disappearing forever.
The Maison De Bieu, standing on the edge of the village, is a 15th C fortified house with a distinctive square tower adjacent to the living area. Long-time home to the De Bieu family, it is Flumet’s last maintained and inhabited “château”.The De Bieu fortified house got its name from the family who inhabited it during a long time: the De Bieu or De Bieux (de Biolli, de Biollo - coming from the word "bouleau" which means birch tree). This family was very influential in the town and command of Flumet between the 14th and the 18th century. Situated outside the wall of the medieval town, the De Bieu house has kept its aspect and a part of its old remainings through the ages, including a square tower, a private chapel and armorial bearings carved above the entrance. It is still inhabited but is now private.
As part of the fully restored mill, come and discover the history of Flumet through the museum space: exhibition of photos, objects of traditional life and old costumes. A restaurant allows you to enjoy a woodcutter's soup.
The only one of its kind in the Rhône-Alpes, Le Châtelet’s mule stud farm continues an ancient Val d’Arly tradition that has been administered since 1894 by the Syndicat d'Elevage Mulassier du Val d'Arly (local mule breeding union).
This is a solidly built white-rendered building, dating from 1866, with four-sided metal roof which is topped by a wrought-iron cross. A small font is on the right of a recessed alcove protected by a wrought-iron grill: “CMF 1867”.Inside, a golden plaster statue (60-70 cm) of the Virgin with a snake ; on either side of the Virgin is a cherub, and behind her, a golden sun with a dove ; on the altar covered by a white cloth, is a bronze statue of Christ, a small statue of the Virgin, a wooden frame with a faded inscription: “His Holiness Pope Pius IX grants 100 days of indulgences”, 4 superb glass cloches containing a religious vase made of porcelain. Interesting fact : “Resident of Flumet and Mayor of this commune, Marie- François Marin- Cudraz, is in the process of building an oratory in honour of the Immaculate Conception on her property, at the edge of the road, as requested by one of her daughters on her deathbed”. Letter dated 4 June 1866 from curé Mouthon, requesting permission from the bishop to bless the oratory and to ask him to provide indulgences. (source Abbé Duval)
Built in 1863 by Joseph Théodule Jond, this hut-like oratory contains a golden-painted wooden statue of the Holy Family.Statue of the Holy Family in gold-painted wood with the inscription “40 days of indulgence granted by Mgr Magnin to anyone who reciters a Pater, an Ave and an act of love to God 13-06-1863 – 17-06-1864”. Interesting fact : in June 1992, following works to strengthen the banks of the mountain stream, the oratory was demolished. New Oratory rebuilt in 1994, further downhill from the original.
The Abymes bridge connects Flumet with Notre-Dame-de-Bellecombe. Interesting not only for its architecture, the bridge offers stunning views over the river Arly situated 32m below, the T’ienne mill and hanging houses.The Abymes bridge, or Bellecombe bridge, was the first construction work in Val d'Arly and has been built between 1875 and 1878. It contributed to the opening up of the valley, symbolized by the "Gorges de l'Arly" road between Ugine and Sallanches. This bridge represents the entry of the region into modernity.
Flumet’s suspended houses, with their foundations built into the actual rock, overlook the river Arly 40m below. The only example of its kind in Savoie, this architectural group of buildings is most unusual, with breathtaking, dizzying views.It was in the 13th century that the Lords of Faucigny founded the village of Flumet. In order to attract people to the area, they granted franchises (freedoms and privileges) to the burghers of Flumet, each of them being given an equal-sized parcel of land to build their house on. Having created the village, they built walls around it. On the Arly side of the village, the houses were built on the rocky spur overhanging the river by several tens of metres : it was therefore not necessary to fortify the enclosure at this point, as the geography of the place offered sufficient natural protection. A gate marked the entrance to the village on this side and you can still see the opening today in the Rue du Mont-Blanc. It led to a path that runs down to the river Arly, enabling access to Notre-Dame-de-Bellecombe. Since the 13th century, despite the village fire in 1679 and various other tribulations over time, the appearance of the suspended houses has changed very little (see the cadastral plans dated 1730), except for the gradual loss of shingled roofs and the appearance of modern features (satellite dishes, big windows, plain bannisters) which has toned down the traditional charm of this style of architecture. However, the suspended houses have retained their unique style with their tangle of balconies, galleries, homes, stairways, chimneys etc. Indeed, the stone foundations that you can see probably go back to the beginnings of the village. Not forgetting their dizzying aspect which just has to be seen and which can be viewed from different points in the village (Place du Château, Pont des Abymes, Lacets des Avenières).
Phone : 04 79 31 61 08
Email : email@example.com
From 01/05 to 01/11.
Office de Tourisme du Val d'Arly - 12/08/2021
Report a problem